Kids are just naturally active! All they need is a little encouragement. Identify the things that bring your kids joy and then encourage them to get up and do them.
If your daughter loves dancing, find an after-school dance studio or start teaching her yourself! Think about what activities would suit your family and encourage them to be more active daily.
If you’re feeling a little stumped, check out the American Heart Association’s “Got Exercise” program. They have some fantastic ideas!
Set physical activity goals for your family that are realistic and can be achieved. Maybe it’s taking a walk every evening after dinner or riding your bikes to school on days when it isn’t raining. Feel free to set goals based on your kids’ interests as well. If your son loves baseball, try to attend one of his games during the weekend. If your daughter loves swimming, try going to the local pool one evening.
Will your kids be more active if they have some help from technology? Maybe. They may find something new they love, like dance videos on youtube or skateboarding apps for your phone.
Help them understand that being physically active is a good thing. So enjoy the extra sleep, and if you’re lucky, your kids will start rolling out of bed in the morning on their own. Then maybe you can catch a few more Zs yourself!
A person who keeps moving stays slim, while a person who sits still gets fat. -Jim Karas
If you want to lose weight, be more active! Physically active kids are much less likely to get overweight or obese. This is because they have higher “good” cholesterol that helps keep heart disease at bay. They also have higher levels of “good” brain chemicals and a lower risk of developing mental disorders like depression and attention deficit disorder.
You’re more likely to keep moving forward if you take small steps. If you don’t start running a marathon, you’re not expected to run one. But by taking the first step to getting back into shape, you’ve begun the process. And with some time and support, you’ll be on your way to a healthier, happier you!
Here are some more tips to encourage your kids to be more physically active:
– Start exercising as a family! Take a walk around the block or go for a bike ride. You might find that you love spending time together, and you’ll also be encouraging your kids to be active!
– Make physical activity part of your daily routine. Get up at the same time every day and go for a walk while it’s still light outside. Don’t skip breakfast because eating a healthy breakfast will help you feel full longer and make it easier to stay active throughout the day.
– Tell your kids that you’re proud of them when they exercise! When I get home from an evening workout, my kids tell me how proud they are of me. It makes me feel great, and I’m more motivated to keep going!
– Get some exercise yourself! Everyone in the family should be encouraging one another! You can never have too much motivation when it comes to exercising.
– Get your kids involved with physical activities that they enjoy. It’s always better when you’re having fun!